Unravel the mystery at one of the largest hedge mazes in the Mid-Atlantic states - a one acre ornamental garden at Luray Caverns. Mazes are rooted in mystery and have existed for centuries in scores of cultures in countless forms around the world. They have been designed for entertainment, recreation, for objects of art, for magic and meditation. At Luray Caverns, over 1500 Dark American Arborvitae create a 1/2 mile pathway of puzzlement. The trees in The Garden Maze are eight feet tall and four feet wide and are enhanced with a misting fog at strategic locations to provide cooling and special effects. The illogical rythm of the twisting pathways lead adventurers past fountains and into a cave.
Learn how volcanoes shaped Shenandoah and how geology still affects life here. 2 mile, 2 hour hike that is steep and rocky in sections. Meet at Timber Hollow Overlook (mile 43.2 on Skyline Drive). Wear sturdy shoes and bring water.
The Town of Luray is located at the crossroads of major routes of travel, approximately 90 miles west of Washington D.C. and 45 miles south of Winchester. Interstate 81 is located just 15 miles to the west; and Interstate 66 is just 25 miles to the north. The Town of Luray was established by act of General Assembly on February 6, 1812 on ten acres of land near Hawksbill Creek. Today, the growth of Luray continues to be fueled by its prime location: the ideal balance between rural scenery and travel connection. Home to Luray Caverns, Old Rag Mountain, and countless historic and scenic marvels, the Town of Luray features something for everyone.Visit our local Chamber of Commerce for additional sites and area information at: https://www.visitluraypage.com/
Lake Arrowhead features 6 picnic shelters for rent (Call 540-743-5511 for availability), fishing, white sand beach and swimming during the summer, ball field, volleyball nets, horseshoe pits, playground, 1 mile trail that circles the lake, and the Edwin Smith scout camping area. NOTE: Lake Arrowhead is not a public campground except during specific events. For more information, please call (540) 843-0770.
Cooter’s Place in Luray features Daisy’s Diner Dukes of Hazzard Museum and Replica Cooter’s Garage with General Lee, Cooter’s Tow Truck, Boss Hogg Caddy, “Cooter’s Garage Band” and appearances from the man himself, Ol’ Cooter and much, much more!
“Cooter” does a free Concert every Saturday at Cooter’s Place in Luray from 1pm-3pm and signing autographs from 3pm-4pm. (Except Cooter’s Shenandoah Jamboree Weekends) Click Here for Cooter’s Shenandoah Jamboree Schedule. Every Sunday at Cooter’s Place in Luray we have free Bluegrass concert from 2pm-4pm and hope you folks will join us!
The South Fork of the Shenandoah River flows for 55 miles through Page Valley, winding its way between the Massanutten Mountain on the West and the Blue Ridge Mountains on the East. Offering stunning mountain views as you go along the river, the South Fork flows north to join the North Fork in Front Royal and becoming the main stem of the Shenandoah River. Continuing North, this flows on to Harper's Ferry, West Virginia where it joins the Potomac River all the way to the Chesapeake Bay. The Shenandoah River is one of the few rivers in the world that flows north for its entire length and that alone brings some outdoor enthusiasts to its banks.
Find peace and solace walking part or all of the Appalachian Trail or just take a hike along one of the various hikes on Skyline Drive. Whether you're looking for a walk to a waterfall, want to visit one of the peaks, or just want to wander through the woods and the around the valley, there's a trail for everyone along the Shenandoah National Park, in the George Washington National Forest, and in the little towns in-between.
The Town of Luray’s annual Festival of Spring is upon us and the locals are excited to see this year’s changes. Celebrating the 14th year, the festival has changed a little, not just footprint (which I’ll touch on briefly for all of you who have been here before), but this year it’s also moved forward a weekend. Still, the reason for its creation has remained the same. The festival looks to celebrate the Town of Luray, its local partners, artisans and crafters, and community as a whole while welcoming in the spring season.
The most popular caverns in Eastern America, millions of visitors have toured the limestone halls over the years since it was first discovered on August 13, 1878. Guided tours along paved, well-lit walkways leave every 15 minutes to ensure visitors aren't waiting too long. These one hour tours wind among the beauty of the underground. Cathedral ceilings stretching 10-stories high, magnificent limestone structures and columns, a one-of-a-kind optical illusion at dream lake, and the great stalacpipe organ await anyone looking for a new kind of adventure.